Saturday, January 4, 2014

Preparing for the Storm

If you live in the midwest, you by now have heard of a giant storm that going to hit most of the country in the next 24 hours or so.  In my area we are expecting up to 10 inches of snow, and bitter windchills possibly as low as -30 degrees. They are saying that it will be the coldest weather in years.  As what usually happens right before a  big storm, people run to the grocery store to stock up on essentials.  We were down to our last half gallon of milk, and were almost out of bread and cat food.  I had heard from some of my local friends that our area Meijer was packed, so my oldest daughter and I head over to my favorite store Target.  It was busy, but manageable. I put the paper towels and cat food in the cart.  We were about to head over to the grocery area when we were distracted by the Christmas section.. Today it went to 90% off!  I could not help myself, I had to go see what they had left.  Suddenly I forgot all about the groceries. 


There was still a pretty good selection, and I got a few fantastic deals that made the trip out totally worth it.   


Here is one of my favorite deals of the day.  In the back of the Christmas  section I found two Minerva Amaryllis bulbs in ceramic pots. I quickly grabbed them up. I found some of these plants on clearance a few years ago for 75% off and they all grew, and bloomed.  As you can see in the picture, the plant on the left already had a lot of growth.   I was thrilled when I checked the price, and found they were only $1.29 each. SOLD!!  The pots are worth probably 5 times more than that on their own.  


There was also a pretty good selection of ornaments left priced .30-.80 each.  I found several that would work well on my Woodland Themed Tree, and some I can use next week for my Frozen Party theme on my party blog, Pams Party and Practical Tips.


I found pretty gift tags for .30 each, a 3 pk of honeycomb trees for .49, and treat bags for .20. 



I found a box of Christmas cookie cutters for only .99, and a box of Candy Cane chocolate dipped Oreos for $1.19.  


Here is  another one of my other favorite deals of the day.  Hershey Kisses and M & Ms were on sale for only .95 a bag. I happened to have  used the Cartwheel app, so I got them for ,85 each. I also had a $2 off of 3 M & Ms coupon, making the M & Ms only .55 for ALL THREE BAGS! 

Around this time I checked the time. It was already after 3 p.m.   I still had  run to Aldi, and drive to the neighboring town to pick up Kyle from Robotics kick Off day by 4. (he is on the Robotics team at school)  Kyle drinks a lot of milk, so I try to always buy it at Aldi for only $1.59 a gallon. I think this was my quickest trip to date.  We picked up 3 gallons of milk, 2 boxes of cereal, a pizza, and some other odds and ends in less than 15 minutes.  It was pretty busy with people preparing for the storm, but so much easier than if we had gone to Meijer or Kroger.  We made on time to our destination, but then I could not find the building where he was waiting.  Oops!  At least I know for next time. 

Now we will wait to see what this storm brings. We have already heard from our Superintendant that there probably will not be school on Monday.  We had the day right before break off because of ice, so this is going to be our longest Christmas break ever! We are not complaining though, the kids are I don't really want to go back to waking up super early again.  





No comments:

Post a Comment